The FreeBSD Diary

The FreeBSD Diary (TM)

Providing practical examples since 1998

If you buy from Amazon USA, please support us by using this link.
[ HOME | TOPICS | INDEX | WEB RESOURCES | BOOKS | CONTRIBUTE | SEARCH | FEEDBACK | FAQ | FORUMS ]

Success Stories
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Previous Message  |  Next Message 
 Re: Linux FreeBSD
Author: Shannon 
Date:   26-09-03 04:08

I am in the process of moving from Linux Mandrake 9.2 to FreeBSD 5.1.

Why?

- Mandrake is slowly but surely doing as I predicted. They are succumbing to their shareholders' desire for the bottom line over everything else. FreeBSD is free. Truely free. Keep your shareholders off my OS!

- Mandrake makes you dependant on Mandrake to upgrade packages if you're not willing to go through dependancy hell. To upgrade gAIM wasn't the two days of frustration and system screwing on FreeBSD that it was on Mandrake. It was "make install clean" and then an occasional "portupgrade gaim".

- There's only one FreeBSD. There's endless Linux distros, all doing things a different way.

-FreeBSD gives me more stability than Mandrake did, even when using the "unstable" 5.1 and all the latest software in the ports tree. It's the best of both worlds - stability and currency.

- My favorite game (Neverwinter Nights) runs better under FreeBSD than it does under Linux in 9 out of 10 aspects. (Somehow, the image of what your character was doing while the save was being made doesn't show under FreeBSD, and the NVidia driver is a bit temperamental with NWN... but those are certainly not FreeBSD's fault.)

- Amusing as it may sound... using 'edit' at the command line. It's much more familiar and intuitive than vi.

- Ports rock, naturally.

- Two words: Make world.

- Sane kernel configuration and compilation.

- burncd lets me create CDs without mucking around in SCSI simulation.

- portupgrade is incredible. Being able to upgrade every installed package in a single command is priceless.

- The complete FreeBSD handbook online, and installed with the OS!

- FreeBSD-questions mailing list.

In a world that is going madder and madder, FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD are rays of hope. FreeBSD's ways of doing things make sense to me.

My success story, I suppose, is that I am running FreeBSD 5.1-p5. That I have overcome 85% of the hurdles to making it my only OS. And that I feel like I can achieve the other 15% also.

 Reply To This Message  |  Forum List  |  Flat View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

 Topics Author  Date
 Linux <--> FreeBSD   new
codephreaker 05-08-03 20:54 
 Re: Linux &lt;--&gt; FreeBSD   new
Jason Browne 04-09-03 21:44 
 Re: Linux <--> FreeBSD   new
Dan 04-09-03 22:21 
 Re: Linux FreeBSD   new
John 06-09-03 19:07 
 Re: Linux FreeBSD   new
jai.unix 30-03-06 09:31 
 Re: Linux FreeBSD   new
Shannon 26-09-03 04:08 
 Re: Linux <---> FreeBSD   new
ibonny 03-01-08 17:14 


 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
How to get the most out of the forum

phorum.org