Things look quiet here. But I've been doing a lot of blogging at
dan.langille.org because I prefer WordPress now.
Not all my posts there are FreeBSD related.
I am in the midst of migrating The FreeBSD Diary over to WordPress
(and you can read about that here).
Once the migration is completed, I'll move the FreeBSD posts into the
new FreeBSD Diary website.
This is a lost and found article. I wrote it some time ago, but for whatever reason,
most likely stupidity, it was never published. During a recent rework of the site, I found the
article and added it to the database.
14 August 1998
I bought a new hard drive tonight. It should give me enough space to install and
upgrade to 2.2.7. Unfortunately, I need a new I/O
board as my current one doesn't have enough IDE channels. Tune in tomorrow for the
Today a new IDE card arrived which contains two IDE connectors. This should
allow me to get both hard drives and my CD-ROM running. The main problem is IRQ
conflicts. I'm trying to reconfigure one of my network cards, but without
success. I've managed to get the system to boot with the new card but not with both
network cards installed. This is not good. It seems that one network card is
preventing the system from working.
The cards were not the same. If one was
installed, it would prevent the system from finding the hard disk. I suspected an
IRQ conflict. However, setting the suspect card to the same values of the other card
did not change the situation. I was unable to get the two existing cards to
work. So I swapped one of the cards for one from another machine. That allowed
both machies to work.
The next thing to do is to get both drives running at the same time.