The FreeBSD Diary

The FreeBSD Diary (TM)

Providing practical examples since 1998

If you buy from Amazon USA, please support us by using this link.
[ HOME | TOPICS | INDEX | WEB RESOURCES | BOOKS | CONTRIBUTE | SEARCH | FEEDBACK | FAQ | FORUMS ]

Things look quiet here. But I've been doing a lot of blogging at dan.langille.org because I prefer WordPress now. Not all my posts there are FreeBSD related. I am in the midst of migrating The FreeBSD Diary over to WordPress (and you can read about that here). Once the migration is completed, I'll move the FreeBSD posts into the new FreeBSD Diary website.

 
I had need of a new drive to make a backup.  I was having extreme trouble with one box, and had no network connections at all.  I borrowed a disk from someone and tried following the instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-adding.html.   Unfortunately, they failed me.

Using sysinstall, I was told my disks could not be found.  Strange.  I was booting off one of them.

Using the first set of instructions under 10.5.2.2 Dedicated, I failed when I did the step:

# disklabel -e da1               # create the `e' partition    

Ummmm, I had no idea how to do that....

So I did the next best thing.  I tried the alternate method:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 count=2
# disklabel /dev/rda1 | disklabel -BrR da1 /dev/stdin
# newfs /dev/rda1e
newfs: /dev/rwd1e: 'e' partition is unavailable
# newfs /dev/rda1e

Hmmm, that's not much better.  Then I remembered what I'd seen under "disklabel -e da1", namely a 'c' partition.  So I tried this instead:

# newfs /dev/rda1c

That worked! 

So then it was on to backing up one drive to another.  Which I will write about later this week.