Author: Colin Percival
Date: 16-04-03 01:10
I've put together a tool for building, distributing, and installing binary security updates; the client portion is now in the ports tree.
To keep a system up to date without needing the source tree:
1. Install 4.7-RELEASE or 4.8-RELEASE (that's all I'm publishing binary updates for).
2. Fetch the latest ports tree.
3. cd /usr/ports/security/freebsd-update && make all install
4. mv /usr/local/freebsd-update/update.conf.sample /usr/local/freebsd-update/update.conf
5. echo "0 2 * * * /usr/local/sbin/freebsd-update cron" >> /etc/crontab
Finally, read your email, and run
when you get an email advising you that there are updates waiting to be installed.