The FreeBSD Diary

The FreeBSD Diary (TM)

Providing practical examples since 1998

If you buy from Amazon USA, please support us by using this link.
[ HOME | TOPICS | INDEX | WEB RESOURCES | BOOKS | CONTRIBUTE | SEARCH | FEEDBACK | FAQ | FORUMS ]
FreeBSD Support
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.html)
Author: Rick D. James 
Date:   08-07-00 19:17

Ok, after what was posted here last April, and other times. How can as a reader of this site
believe this is be true. Is this just away to get money from your readers?

Since last April, I have stop reading this site. Just visited for the first time since May. This is site is almost like reading a ZDavis's web site. Because of sites like this one, what FreeBSD's users have posted on various news groups, and the FreeBSD's pushers that I have met, I have stop installing FreeBSD at my company. We had many file servers (Samba, and Netatalk), one Web Server, and few other servers running FreeBSD. Now I have moved them over to another OS. I was very happy with the OS.

But when the pushers/users/supporters of this OS act like jerks, and SS (neo-nazi) or do not care about Freedom, or how other's feelings about various subjects, that is when I stop using the product, any product.

Now that we have switch over to the other OS. I have found that it provides the same performance, with better security. So, in a way all worked out for the better.

Reply To This Message
 
 RE: FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.ht
Author: Dan Langille 
Date:   08-07-00 23:14

>Ok, after what was posted here last April, and other times. How can as a reader of this site
>believe this is be true.

Because it was verified by so many people by checking with NetworkSolutions. And if you check, it's not April 1.

>Is this just away to get money from your readers?

Readers don't give me money.

>Since last April, I have stop reading this site. Just visited for the first time since May. This is site is almost like reading a ZDavis's web site.

I don't get your point.

> Because of sites like this one, what FreeBSD's users have posted on various news groups, and the FreeBSD's pushers that I have met, I have stop installing FreeBSD at my company.

That's odd. You should change OS for a good reason. Not because of what you think of other people.

>We had many file servers (Samba, and Netatalk), one Web Server, and few other servers running FreeBSD.

Good for you.

> Now I have moved them over to another OS. I was very happy with the OS.

These two statements are at odds with each other.

> But when the pushers/users/supporters of this OS act like jerks, and SS (neo-nazi) or do not care about Freedom, or how other's feelings about various subjects, that is when I stop using the product, any product.

Hmm, the not-so-veiled association of this site, and indeed FreeBSD, with those adjectives, terms, and descriptions is pretty immature. Not to mention personal and subjective. If you have a problem with what I do, by all means, talk to me about it. But attempting to label this site with the terms you have supplied is just plain silly.

Your statements are hardly a valid or sound reason for changing from one OS to another. I just hope you're in sole charge of the compnay or that your employer knows the real reasons why you changed. In either case, I wish you both luck. By the way, what company is that?

>Now that we have switch over to the other OS. I have found that it provides the same performance, with better security. So, in a way all worked out for the better.

Yes. Evidently it is better for everyone for everyone concerned. And I bid you best wishes.

note: other readers may find this of interest: I searched the mailing list and newsgroups for any evidence that the rick_james@armsexport.cu existed. I found none. Also, my checks, and checks made by other people, indicate that the domain armsexport.cu does not exist (see http://www.nic.cu/).

also, see the <a href="http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1029">Daily Daemon News article</a> for the ongoing saga.

Reply To This Message
 
 RE: FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.ht
Author: David Dagon 
Date:   09-07-00 01:34

> How can as a reader of this site
> believe this is be true. Is this just away > to get money from your readers?

*Oh* *My* *God*

How right you are, Rick.

I also believe everything I read on the
internet. And I likewise expect and demand
that no web page will ever provide a
perspective on any matter. This is because,
as Rick seems to suggest (or as I seem
to imply? No matter.) there is only one
objective truth about any situation. And
any web page that does not adhere to
this principle must be running a scam
on its readership.

This much Rick has right: it's obviously
a ploy to extract more money from the
readership of this (free) page.

Each time NSI screws over a bsd page,
Dan pockets more money. Now, how this
happens is not entirely clear. Without
NSI, with the page off the internet,
and with the bsd pages (and OS) being
COMPLETELY FSCKING FREE, it's not easy
to imagine how the money has changed hand.
But it must happen some how. What else
can explain Dan's indignation at NSI's
handling of matters? Obviously, cold
hard cash has clouded Dan's perspective.

So, Rick has the right approach: use
libel, paranoid reasoning, and
conspiracy-theory-thinking that
would make an X-Files writer blush,
and by gosh, you'll get to the bottom
of it all.

I was particularly glad to hear about
Rick's adventures with a new OS.
(Tastefully, he omitted the name, or
details about its security. Way to go,
Rick, facts are *Dan's job*, not yours.)

I only have one question: What the hell
is this thread all about?

Ciao.

Reply To This Message
 
 RE: FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.ht
Author: dave 
Date:   09-07-00 06:33

Get a life guys. If this guy is for real he may have trouble with English. And isn't .cu from Cuba? Let's try to make him feel good about his life.

'Why can't we all just get along?'

Reply To This Message
 
 RE: FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.ht
Author: Dan Langille 
Date:   09-07-00 07:30

Dave,

I don't think anyone was hassling the guy about his English. His attitude was quite clear. As for this life, it's not up to us to make him feel good. That's his job. But, for that matter, everyone seems to be addressing his points and not making personal attacks.

Did I miss something?

Reply To This Message
 
 RE: FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.ht
Author: dave 
Date:   09-07-00 07:35

Dan,

I am just trying to understand what is going on. If he feels the way he does, there must be a reason.



Reply To This Message
 
 RE: FreshPorts goes offline (freshports-offline.ht
Author: Dan Langille 
Date:   09-07-00 08:56

Certainly. But if he feels that way and doesn't want to tell us why, there's nothing we can do about it. Give it time for him to respond.

There is also the possibility his message is nothing but flame bait.

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 


 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
How to get the most out of the forum

phorum.org