Resume for Dan Langille
I am a highly experienced computer professional with a wide range of skills. I have worked
as a database administrator, software developer, and a system administrator. I have a strong
belief in creating good documentation and developing procedures for deployment and maintenance.
Resident in Media, Pennsylvania, USA.
BIGLIST - Sysadmin/developer
February 2014 - present
- Helped set up new servers and adjust backup strategies
- Created new working environments and proofs of concepts
- Worked with system deployment and server configuration
- Evaluated new products for billing solutions
- Working with FreeBSD, ZFS, Bacula, OpenVPN, pfSense, CFEngine, Ansible...
- upgraded and became maintainer of mail/p5-qpsmtpd port
Johnson & Johnson (Lifescan) - Consultant
August 2011 - January 2014
- Agile environment
- Creating and maintaining middle tier for website
- Creating unit tests for the above
- Creating SQL queries and database interfaces
MeetMe - Operations Programmer
March 2009 - July 2011
- Replacing code driven modules with database driven user interfaces
- Creation of custom profiles
- Design of automated promotion system
- Inventory system
Afilias - Database Administrator
December 2007 - February 2009
- Environment consists of high-availability customer-facing database servers and applications
- Server versions ranged from PostgreSQL 7.4 to 8.3
- Responsible for maintaining the reporting, billing, and invoicing databases (PostgreSQL) (about 125 databases on three servers)
- Organized automated monthly restores (24 databases on three servers)
- Worked on reporting, development, QA, and production database environments
- Setup and/or upgrade database servers and replication environments (AIX/PostgreSQL 8.3/Slony 1.2.12)
- Documented procedures and configuration
- Arranged backups and restores
- Participated in data warehouse design
- Involved in UTF-8 testing
- Disaster recovery planning
- Database design and data modeling
- Provide support to local and remote developers
- Query tuning
- Involved with creating the next generation of their backup product
- Database modeling and design (PostgreSQL 8.x)
- Stored procedures and triggers.
February 2006 - May 2007
- Custom website/database work (PostgreSQL/MySQL/Apache)
- Network monitoring (Nagios)
- backups (Bacula)
- server configuration/installation
Tomoye.com - Senior Software Developer
September 2004 - February 2006
- Enhancing and development of knowledge management system
- Using MySQL, SQL Server, PHP, Apache, IIS, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, CVS, Subversion, Zend Studio and Zend WinEnabler
- Documenting process as development occurs
Contracting for BCHosting.com - Software Engineer/System Administrator
June 2002 - September 2004
- Upgrading, installing, and configuring servers.
- Wrote custom websites and database access routines (PostgreSQL/MySQL) for customer websites
- Created custom firewalls, mail servers, and web servers for clients, configured Apache, OpenSSL,
PostgreSQL, procmail to suit customer requirements, and secured communications between client website and client offices
- Maintained, patched, and upgraded servers as required
Ponte Communications, Ottawa, Canada; Software Developer
May 2001 - June 2002
- Employed as a software developer working on Ponte's network management software.
- Designed and ran the automated loadbuild and testing system
- Converted NCP (Network Control Point) from NetBSD to Solaris
April 2000 - present
- Designed and implemented PostgreSQL databases used to track software changes.
- Implemented backup systems
- Upgrade servers progressively over the years from 7.x to 8.x
- Created triggers and stored procedures to provide complex inter-table relationships
Synergy International Limited, Wellington, New Zealand; Consultant
March 1994 - May 2001
As a consultant, there were a variety of projects including:
Bank of New Zealand Wellington, New Zealand; Analyst/Programmer, Team Leader
- ACC - created reports using SQL Server and ASP
- Internal R&D - Worked with JRun, JBuilder, TopLink, and Apache to investigate population of business
objects from within JSP pages.
- Ministry of Fisheries - Conversion of an existing system from PowerBuilder 4 to PowerBuilder 5. In the process,
an existing class library was removed and PFC was introduced. Working as primary developer, converting code that processed incoming data into a Sybase database.
- New Zealand Post - Worked with a small team creating a work flow management system. This software was
designed to make the management of work centers easier and allow managers to supervise
resources efficiently. The system uses MTS and Sybase SQL Server.
- Ministry of Commerce - Providing mentoring on the PowerBuilder 5 and PFC.
- Transpower - Worked on a Wholesale Pool simulator using PowerBuilder 5 and PFC. This system
calculates the half hourly price of electricity based on different simulation models.
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority - development of an Educational Framework using PowerBuilder 4 and Sybase SQL
- National Bank of N.Z. - PowerBuilder Branch Platform Project. Incorporated many systems in a single GUI
front end. Initially a PowerBuilder 3 system running under Windows 3.11, which
replaced 3270 screens, the code was later migrated to PowerBuilder 4 and Windows NT.
Database converted from Microsoft Access to Oracle.
- New Zealand Film Commission - Developed a PowerBuilder system to facilitate tracking projects and film developments,
produce accounting reports, and maintain mailing lists. Subsequently returned to
enhance this system to include additional mailing list features including audit trails.
1989 - 1994
- Development and maintenance of Microsoft Windows applications and a marketing system incorporating MIS information.
- Worked for Treasury (Foreign Exchange and Money Market systems)
- Gathered requirements from users, designed and implemented systems and databases (SQLBase & SQLAnywhere)
- Worked with other departments to allow data sharing between systems
Paxus Consulting Wellington, New Zealand; Consultant
1986 - 1989
- Worked with clients to determine requirements, then implemented the software and databases
- Often sole-consultant on site with client
- Projects included retail financial systems, brokerage systems for Bank of New Zealand
J.P Scott and Associates Wellington, New Zealand; Consultant
1985 - 1986
- Worked for New Zealand Racing Conference designing a computer system to replace
existing manual systems.
Key Areas of Experience
|Languages:||C++, C, PHP, ASP, Perl, Shell scripts, Python|
|OS Platorms:||Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 95/98, Windows 3.X, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, AIX|
|Databases:||Sybase, Oracle, SQL Anywhere, MySQL, MS Access, SQL Server, PostgreSQL
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada (1981-1985)
- Bachelor of Computer Science - High Honours, 1985
This document is available in various formats: